Cooking takes time and entails love of craftsmanship as well as the passion to make a good product. Farmers and producers from the surrounding regions provide everything the award-winning chefs in SalzburgerLand require for the culinary creations. They are grateful and proud of this. At the same time, they acquire a valuable symbiosis from each other: producers learn how they meet the demands of culinary artists. And the chefs behind the stove are only able to bring their consummate cuisine to fruition because they are perfectly aware of the origin of ingredients. Only good things can emerge when the delicacies from the farmhouse shop find their way directly into the cuisine. Enjoyment is guaranteed when award-winning chefs walk around the market early in the morning and procure fresh ingredients.
A constant exchange of encouragement and challenge forms the basis for the culinary pleasures in the award-winning restaurants, inns and mountain huts in the province. For example, an organisation in SalzburgerLand known as “Sommerfrische” (summer retreat) is a sign that this solidarity exists to this day. Two ladies from SalzburgerLand tour their homeland and portray culinary craftsmanship, producers, virtuosos and culinary artists on their journey. The subsequently developed food events are a special feature: award-winning cuisine in a cowshed, a feast at a reservoir above Kaprun and savouring fish right alongside a lakeshore.
The Via Culinaria is a proverbial collection of good taste that features more than 260 culinary points. The addresses arrayed along the culinary pathways are definitely worth a visit. If a decision is difficult because of the great selection, then the excursion provides a culinary orientation guide. An excursion along the Via Culinaria provides encouragement to keep on going, and can be individually supplemented according to aspiration, desire and time. Here is another culinary point and there is yet another delectable stopover – indulgence is so beautiful! In addition to outstanding cuisine, wonderful accommodations are also waiting for visitors in the exquisite enterprises.
1. Stiegl-Brauwelt, Salzburg: The world of experience pertaining to beer is synthesis of the arts consisting of an in-house brewery, adventure cinema and exhibition featuring the popular cultural beverage, a brewery shop as well as a cosy brewery pub and large beer garden. www.brauwelt.at
2. DomQuartier tour of museums, Salzburg: A tour through bygone centuries is waiting behind 134 doors featuring exhibits from 1,300 years of art and cultural history. www.domquartier.at
3. Bio-Hofkäserei Fürstenhof (farmstead organic cheese dairy), Kuchl: The prince-archbishops of Salzburg once frequented the farmstead here. Delicious organic cheese from raw milk is produced in the exhibition dairy today: 30 different varieties confront visitors with the agony of choice. And anyone who would like to can even make their own cheese! www.fuerstenhof.co.at
4. Restaurant Karl & Rudi Obauer, Werfen: The Obauer brothers are well-known far beyond the borders of the province for their repeatedly award-winning culinary art. They conjure up distinctive regional, seasonal, creative and innovative culinary delights for their guests. www.obauer.com
5. Trimmingerhof organic farmstead, Tamsweg: Sage, parsley and thyme are the principal features of the exciting herbal hikes led by herbal expert Rosalie Hötzer. The head of the herbal initiative in the Lungau region exhibits 150 herbs which are curative as well as delectable in her exhibition garden. www.trimmingerhof.at
6. Restaurant Bertahof, Bad Hofgastein: Bertahof is a textbook example of a cosy country inn. Tradition and down-to-earth quality can be perceived in every corner of the premises, and the fresh fish dishes are prepared in a particularly creative and delectable manner. www.bertahof.at
7. Grossglockner High Alpine Road: If you want to experience an incredible adventure by car, there is no way around this road, which features 48 kilometres of spectacular scenery in the middle of the Hohe Tauern National Park. The magnificent panorama road pays homage to Austria’s highest summit (3,798 m).www.grossglockner.at
8. Gipfel Restaurant 3000 on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier, Kaprun: Stopping for refreshments at Salzburg’s first glacier skiing area is simply part of the adventure. On the “Kitz”, superb dishes can be enjoyed year-round with a breath-taking view of high alpine nature.www.kitzsteinhorn.at
9. Restaurant Meilinger Taverne, Mittersill: It’s not for nothing that the 300-year-old, heritage-protected tavern located directly at the town square is regarded as a meeting place for all those who love fine regional cuisine and is well-known for its Pinzgau beef specialities. www.meilinger-taverne.at
10. Feinkost Lumpi, Zell am See: Variety and regional specialities are particularly important at the delicatessen located in the middle of the pedestrian zone. Culinary delicacies from the Pinzgau region are offered here. Perhaps you would also like to take a tasty souvenir home with you? www.lumpi.biz
11. Berger Feinste Confiserie, Lofer: Knowledge of the precious craftsmanship involved with running a chocolate shop, inventive talent and joy in providing pleasure are the exquisite ingredients for the chocolatey creations from the Berger family. A veritable site of temptation awaits you. www.confiserie-berger.at
Even more pleasure: follow the eight culinary pathways in SalzburgerLand.