Salzburg Lake District: 4 Lakes together
- Besides the Grabensee, which stretches directly through Berndorf, there are also
- the Wallersee
- the Mattsee and
- the Obertrumer See belonging to the Salzburg Lake District.
The Grabensee moor is said to have special healing powers. The moor spa on the south-west shore should definitely not be missed during a holiday in Berndorf. The Grabensee also has crystal-clear water of top quality and there is a small camping site on the north west bank.
Beautiful farms and hamlets dominate the landscape of this municipality. The local farmers cultivate their fields and farms with a big love of tradition. Berndorf has a gently structured scenery and is influenced by the rural cultural landscape with its farms and hamlets. Located at an altitude of 548metres, the village is the perfect starting point for excursions to the surrounding lakes. In addition, biking tours start in Berndorf and for extended hikes to suit all tastes, the locals always have an insider tip ready.
Insider tips in Berndorf
- The natural monument “Linde am Thurn” is located over the Kalchgrubergut at an altitude of 687m. Hikers and peace-seekers enjoy the rich scenery while resting on the Berndorf Wiegeliege. From here there is a magnificent view over Berndorf, the surrounding countryside and the adjacent mountains.
- The Bavarian Bike Tour from Mattsee to Waging am See passes directly through Berndorf. In the Bavarian Parlour of the Neuwirt Inn, cyclists can recharge their batteries.
- The Via Nova, the European pilgrimage route, also passes through Berndorf. The specially built Via Nova fountain or the “Bajuwarenstüberl” at tha Neuwirt in the old village square invites pilgrims to take a break.
- The Haunsberg-trail: especially in late autumn, this hike is an extraordinary experience because you will pass the “Plague Column“
- The elaborate Parish Church: The cornerstone of this late Gothic church was laid in the year 1440.
- The parsonage built in 1531 was established in 1989 as a home for the Catholic virgin “Katholische Jungschar”.
- Franz Xaver Gruber – the composer of the song “Silent Night! Holy Night!” lived in Berndorf from 1829 to 1835. A bronze statue was erected on the cemetery wall to mark the 200th anniversary. In honor of the famous composer, the pastry shop of Karl-Heinz Thurnhofer has created its own cake, the “Franz Xaver Gruber Cake”.
Summer Holiday in Berdorf
In the warm months, the range of options in and around Berndorf is particularly large. For those looking for relaxation and sports enthusiasts, the nearby lakes with their numerous bathing opportunities offer a wide range in and on the water.
Whether swimming in the numerous beach pools, cycling, water sports, cultural visits in museum, hiking – everyone will find their perfect holiday enjoyment with this large selection of leisure activities for young and old.
Winter sports in Berndorf
If the weather permits in winter, cross-country skiing can also be done in Berndorf. Concerns and parking spaces are on the sports field grounds. Cross-country trails of different lengths are groomed. Voluntary donations are welcome.
Cycling in the Lake District
“Velodrom” – 600 km network of cycling tracks
The soft, undulating countryside of the pre-alpine region with lakes, Wallersee, Mattsee, Grabensee and Obertrumer See, offers a variety of tours included in the programme. Hobby and sports cyclistsalike can make the most of 600 kilometres of well – constructed cycle tracks, which lead over hills with terrific views, through pretty woods or along the banks of the lakes. Whether an impromptu cycle ride or one of the 14 planned routes, there are seven bike hire and service centres, along with 20 E-bike charging points provided en route.
Seenland Card – for your personal advantage
It’s much easier and beneficial to find your way and discover the Salzburg Lake District with the “Salzburger Seenland Card”. Many of the points of interest , arrangements and facilities are available at reduced rates or sometimes even free of charge! Apart from the highlights such as Gut Aiderbichl Animal Sanctuary or the World of Beer in Obertrum, entrance to the lakeside beaches is included. The Seenland Card is available free of charge to guests staying in „inclusive“ accommodation, i.e.where the Card is included . It is valid for your entire stay, during the months May until October.